Great Women in Engineering and Science
To foster an interest in science, engineering, and technology and introduce students to female role models who have achieved significant success in science and engineering.
Essay Contest Details
Sixth grade students at schools in Colorado and Wyoming are invited to participate in the “Great Women in Engineering and Science” essay contest. The goal of the contest is to foster an interest in science, engineering, and technology in middle school students and to introduce students to female role models who have achieved significant success in areas of science and engineering. Over 250 students participate annually and prizes and certificates are awarded. Read about past contest award recipients on the RMS Blog – Outreach.
2024 Essay Contest Open, Entries Due March 15
To enter, write an original essay of approximately 500 words on one of the women engineers and scientists listed below:
- Katherine Johnson – 20th Century Physicist and Mathematician
- Mary Anning – 18th Century Paleontologist
- Edith Clarke – 19th Century Electrical Engineer
- Rosalyn Yalow – 20th Century Medical Physicist
- Sylvis Earle – 20th Century Marine Biologist and Aquanaut
Winning essays should:
- Describe in detail the woman’s life, achievements and any awards she received in recognition of her work
- Demonstrate an understanding of the significance of her work
- Show originality
- Include three or more research sources from varying media (bibliography)
- Use correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Present the information in an organized, neat fashion with good sentence structure
- To enter, complete the entry form below and follow the instructions to either upload or email your essay. Be prepared to provide:
- Your school’s name and address
- Your teacher’s name and email address
- The number of 6th graders in your class
- The essay file name must include your first and last name
- PDF, Word, and Google Doc file formats accepted
- All entries must be received by Friday, March 15, 2024
Win These Prizes!
First Place: Science Kit, Science Book, and $250 cash prize
Second Place: Science Kit, Science Book, and $150 cash prize
Third Place: Science Kit, Science Book, and $100 cash prize
Honorable Merit: Science Kit
Honorable Mention: Science Book
All schools with 20% or more of their 6th graders submitting essays will receive a book award for their library.
Attention teachers, if your school won a participation award in previous years, be sure to check your school library for potential references for this year’s contest!
Upload essay to the Google form. Requires Google login.
For teachers submitting multiple entries, you may email a list of participating students along with the school name and address, your name and email address, and the number of 6th graders in your class to EssayContestSWERMS@gmail.com rather than completing multiple submission forms.
For additional details, please see below for the Essay Contest Flyer and Frequently Asked Questions and Essay Scoring Guidelines.
For further information or to sign up for the essay contest email list, contact the contest chair at EssayContestSWERMS@gmail.com
Attention SWE RMS members: Please contact the contest chair at EssayContestSWERMS@gmail.com if you are interested in being a volunteer judge for this year’s Great Women in Engineering and Science Essay Contest.
Frequently Asked Questions
2024 Essay Contest Sponsor
If interested in sponsoring the essay contest at $500-750, please email email@example.com. Your financial contribution directly supports students, cover prizes and shipping.